V&A Search the Collections

Longcase clock

  • Place of origin:

    London (made)

  • Date:

    ca. 1695 (made)

  • Artist/Maker:

    Etherington, George (maker)

  • Materials and Techniques:

    Veneering in walnut and other woods on carcase of oak; movement of brass and iron

  • Credit Line:

    Bequeathed by Miss Ellen Maud Baker

  • Museum number:

    CIRC.357-1961

  • Gallery location:

    In Storage

  • Public access description

    The use of a pendulum to regulate the movement of a clock was first successfully put into practice by the Dutch mathematician, Christiaaen Huygens in 1656. During the next century, clockmaking developed as a particular technical skill. Clocks became popular status symbols and were produced in large numbers throughout Europe. George Etherington (died 1739), the maker of this clock, was admitted to the Clockmakers' Company in London in 1684. Nearly thirty years later he was considered of sufficient status to stand as Master of the Company for one year. A large number of clocks by him are known, many of them longcase clocks, which now carry the popular name of 'grandfather clocks'. Like many such clocks, this one has lost the lower plinth to its base, and the coved top called a 'caddy top', which would originally have made it at least 20 cm taller.

  • Physical description

    A longcase clock, with brass dial plate with silvered chapter ring, the case veneered in walnut, with floral marquetry, on a carcase of oak.

  • Marks and inscriptions

    Geo. Etherington London
    Engraved on the dial plate

    ...awing
    &
    ning room
    Clocks
    cased by
    Damper
    ?? 1898
    Fragmentary inscription written in ink on a piece of paper glued inside the left-hand side of the case

  • Dimensions

    Height: 208.8 cm, Width: 43.7 cm, Depth: 22.8 cm

  • Object history note

    Bequeathed by Ellen Maud Baker of 23 Copley Park, Streatham. Notes from R.P. 68/821.

    Above R.P. lists this among objects on loan to Tewkesbury Museum (Cheltenham Museum & Art Gallery)

    1968 Correspondence refers to the fact that no keys were received at the time of the transfer. A handwritten notation reads "handed to Mr Fletcher (curator). Secretary will look into question of keys".

    1979 Correspondence again concerns the whereabouts of the keys and J Hardy concedes "it is possible they were never sent".

    This object was lent to the National Trust at Gladstone's Land, Edinburgh, 1980-2015.

  • Descriptive line

    The case veneered in walnut, with floral marquetry, on a carcase of oak; the movement with brass dial plate inscribed 'Geo. Etherington London'

  • Collection code

    Furniture and Woodwork Collection