V&A Search the Collections

Pendant

  • Place of origin:

    Solothurn (Object, made)
    Sursee (images, painted)

  • Date:

    1750-1799 (made)

  • Artist/Maker:

    Unknown

  • Materials and Techniques:

    Silver-gilt filigree set with a foiled pink sapphire, with reverse painting on glass

  • Museum number:

    170-1870

  • Gallery location:

    Jewellery, Rooms 91 to 93 mezzanine, The William and Judith Bollinger Gallery, case 72, shelf C, box 4

  • Public access description

    Religious pendants, called Deli, were common in all the Catholic cantons of Switzerland. In central Switzerland they consisted of a double-sided pendant with pictures of saints or other Christian symbols on each side. The name Deli may derive from the Latin words Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) which was a common theme, or from the French word médaille, or medallion. They were worn by women, hung from a black velvet ribbon round the neck.

    Although some feature profane pictures, the vast majority, like this one, have two religious images. On one side of this pendant is the image of Maria vom guten Rat, a portrait of the Virgin venerated at the Italian pilgrimage site of Genazzano which was especially popular among Catholics from the Alpine regions of Switzerland and Austria. On the other is St Lawrence holding a gridiron, the symbol of his martyrdom.

  • Physical description

    Pendant, consisting of a filigree bow with an oval two-sided medallion hanging from it, and a drop-shaped filigree bead at the bottom. The pendant has an image of the Virgin of Genazzano (Maria vom guten Rat) on one side, reverse painted on glass, and St. Lawrence on the other.

  • Dimensions

    Height: 10.7 cm, Width: 4.8 cm, Depth: 0.9 cm

  • Historical context note

    Described as from 'Lucerne and Schwytz' in register.

  • Descriptive line

    Silver-gilt filigree religious pendant (Trachtendeli) with images of Maria vom guten Rat and St Lawrence, Solothurn (Switzerland), 1750-1799.

  • Collection code

    Metalwork Collection