V&A Search the Collections

Abbot's pastoral staff

  • Object:

    Pastoral staff

  • Place of origin:

    Bavaria (The staff was probably made in Bavaria, for the Cistercian monastery at Aldersbach in the diocese of Passau, Lower Bavaria., made)

  • Date:

    ca. 1745 - ca. 1750 (made)

  • Artist/Maker:

    Deutschmann, Joseph (maker)

  • Materials and Techniques:

    Rococo scrollwork, carved ivory

  • Museum number:

    2166&A-1855

  • Gallery location:

    Europe 1600-1815, Room 3, case CA3 []

  • Public access description

    This elaborate crozier was made by Joseph Deutschmann (or Teutschmann), who also executed decorative and architectural sculpture for the Aldersbach monastery in Bavaria from 1762/3 onwards.
    The crook of the staff is made of two large pieces of ivory from the same tusk fitted together, with smaller additions at the sides, carved with four cherubim, shell-like and auricular scroll motifs, as well as the head and arms of a putto wearing a bishop's mitre, and a further winged putto below. In front of the putto with the mitre is the coat of arms of Cistercian monastery at Aldersbach in the diocese of Passau, Lower Bavaria, and the Holy Spirit, incised with the motto 'IN SIGNUM'. The other full-length putto holds the coat of arms of Theobald Ritlinger, the abbot of the monastery. The eyes of the cherubim and putti are painted, and their playful air seems to act as a witty counterpoint to the solemn liturgical function of the pastoral staff. The body of the staff is composed of three cylindrical pieces of ebony, with decorative fluted ivory fringes, and metal screw fittings. Theobald Ritlinger became abbot of the monastery in 1745; the staff was probably made shortly after that date.

  • Physical description

    The crook of the staff is carved with four cherubim, shell-like and scroll motifs, the head and arms of a putto wearing a bishop's mitre and a further winged putti below. In front of the putto with the mitre is the coat of arms of Cistercian monastery at Aldersbach in the diocese of Passau, Lower Bavaria, and the Holy Spirit, incised with the motto 'IN SIGNUM'. The other full-length putto holds the coat of arms of Theobald II Reitwinkler, the abbot of the monastery. The body of the staff is composed of three cylindrical pieces of ebony, with decorative fluted ivory fringes, and metal screw fittings. The crook of the staff is made of two large pieces of ivory from the same tusk fitted together, with smaller additions at the side.

  • Marks and inscriptions

    Coats of arms of the Aldersbach monastery and of Theobald Ritlinger.

    'IN SIGNUM'
    In or by (this) sign

  • Dimensions

    Length: 25.8 cm, Width: 16.5 cm, Height: 35.5 cm crook (inc. support post) approx, Height: 27 cm crook (not inc. support post) approx, Width: 17.4 cm crook approx, Depth: 5.8 cm crook, Length: 109 cm staff only

  • Object history note

    Acquired from the Bernal collection (Sale, Christie's, March, 1855, No. 1685), for £20.

  • Descriptive line

    Pastoral Staff, in four parts, ivory, with ebony staff, from an abbot, by Joseph Deutschmann, South Germany, after 1745

  • Bibliographic References (Citation, Note/Abstract, NAL no)

    Inventory of Art Objects Acquired in the Year 1855. In: Inventory of the Objects in the Art Division of the Museum at South Kensington, Arranged According to the Dates of their Acquisition. Vol I. London: Printed by George E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode for H.M.S.O., 1868, p. 67
    Longhurst, Margaret H. Catalogue of Carvings in Ivory. Part II. London: Victoria and Albert Museum, 1929, p. 97
    For Teutschmann (Deutschmann) see P. Volk, Rokokoplastik in Altbayern, Bayrisch-Schwaben und im Allgäu. Munich, 1981, p. 84 x pls 11-113
    Vogl, H. Joseph Deutschmann 1717-1787. Weißenhorn in Bayern, 1989, pl. 39, p. 201 (cat.no. Z2k): after 1745
    Trusted, Marjorie, Baroque & Later Ivories, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, 2013, cat. no. 62

  • Labels and date

    PASTORAL STAFF
    South German; 18th century
    Ivory
    By Joseph Teutschmann (b. 1717; d.1787)

    [1993 - 2011]

  • Collection code

    Sculpture Collection